It always feels great to be awarded doesn’t it ? We’ve just received a Liebster Award thanks to Elisabeth from Side Tracked Travel Blog and Jen from Whet Your Wanderlust ! Thank you girls, we deeply appreciate it.
A LIEBSTER AWARD… Us !
Before we start thanking our families, friends, pet, highschool teachers and so on, let me tell you what a Liebster Award is.
Well, a Liebster Award (Liebster’s meaning “favorite” in german) is an award that get passed from new bloggers to others who deserve recognition. It consists in a series of 10 questions about traveling that the nominated bloggers answer in a blog post (linking back to the blog that nominates them). They then must create 10 new questions that they’ll ask to 10 upcoming bloggers who will do just the same.
Even if it’s a little bit of work, this award transmission is a great way to introduce your self a little further and to network with your fellow travel bloggers.
Here are our answers to Elisabeth’s questions (because we saw hers first) :
1. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
I still don’t know the answer to this one and to be true, it’s one of the main reasons why we keep traveling like we do. There are a lot of places we like and we particularly know that we enjoy living in countries that have a British mind-set. We loved living in Wellington, New Zealand, which, according to us, is the best city we lived in so far. The problem is that it’s quite far from Europe, France particularly, where our families & friends live.
2. What’s the best thing you’ve experienced while traveling?
I’d say it’s the overall Trans-Siberian Railway experience (Trans-Mongolian to be accurate) : we took the route from Moscow to Beijin, passing by Ulaanbataar. We spent 87 hours straight in the train to Irkutsk and that taught us how to really chill down while traveling. We don’t usually take that much introspection time, so that journey worked for us as an initiation to slooow travel.
Here’s the video of our ride in the Trans-Siberian Train :
3. What’s the worst thing you’ve experienced while traveling?
Mongolia. Without a pause nor hesitation. To be fair, we only stayed in Ulaanbataar but the feeling we had was shared by other travelers we met. We all had a story on how we got ripped off. We felt like there was a dollar sign on our heads constantly and some people there were ACTUALLY violent. And it’s the only place during our 2014 trip from France to New Zealand in which Couchsurfing was not an option because of people asking money for it. Definitely the worst experience.
4. Which place should every traveler visit at least once in their lifetime ?
Olkhon Island on Lake Baikal in Russia for sure ! After a long journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway you’ll end up to this lake, the deepest freshwater lake in the World. Everything there is so quiet and majestic ! And Sergueï, the priest and bell ringer on Olkhon Island, created a travelers’ refuge that goes deep in the true spirit of hospitality.
Here’s the video of our stay on Olkhon Island :
5. Where do you call home?
6. If you could watch any movie during a flight what would it be?
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013), I topped it first of my 12 best inspiring travel movies list !
7. What’s the first place you ever traveled to?
Violette first traveled to Italy because she used to live not far from the Italian border and I first went to England on my own as a child to learn English in a British family.
8. Why did you start blogging?
We started blogging because it is the best way to give regular and documented news to our families and friends. But after a while, we noticed that we love sharing our adventures, photos & videos, and we also like to tip friends and other travelers we meet about our travel tricks… So why not reach a broader audience and start a blog in English !
9. Why do you travel?
We travel for a whole bunch of reasons but I guess number one is for encounters. We simply love to meet persons that are different to what we are, who have another set of mind or perspective on life, and to try their lifestyle for a little while. It’s a good way to gain objectivity in regard to our own culture and values. Traveling allows us to be more open minded and to learn about ourselves as both a couple & individuals. We also love Art, Culture, old buildings, magnificent sceneries, food, etc.
Traveling, to us, is simply the best way to live life fully.
10. What’s your next travel destination?
We fly for South-East Asia in early October for 7 months going around Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc. We are currently looking for tips on those countries, so if any of you have been there, please share you experience in the comments below 🙂
Our nominees for the Liebster Award are :
- Arun @ mytravelpedia.net
- Chris @ outsidethecage.ca
- Hank @ havepassionwilltravel.com
- Hugo & Cristina @ breathewithus.com
- Laura @ grassrootsnomad.com
- Luci & Mike @ 1000fights.com
- Mary Elizabeth @ www.nomadicelephant.com
- Natalie @ www.likealady.co
- Ocean @ oceansdesire.com
- Stray @ www.wanderingstray.com
- Tamara @ globeguide.ca
- Veru & Petra @ www.simplynomadiclife.com
Here are the questions they shall answer :
- What made you love traveling ?
- Why did you start blogging ?
- What are your top 3 places in the world ?
- What country would you go back to ?
- What country would you recommend for first time backpackers ?
- What is the most unusual food you’ve tried on your travels ?
- Where is the most impressive scenery you’ve seen so far ?
- What are your family and friends thinking about you making this blog ?
- What is the most unusual thing you put in your backpack/suitcase ?
- Those last questions are related to the picture below : What is your name ? What is your quest ? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow ?
Mmh, I think I just saw a very fast african swallow passing by… #montypython #outlander #movieset #DouneCastle @visitscotland #LifeExplorateurs #explorescotland #explore #explorateurs #TravelBlog #travelblogger #travel #travelgram #travelinggram #instatravel #instapassport #travelpics #travelphotography #travellingram #historicscotland #castel #scottishcastle #nofilter #nofilterneeded #nofilternecessary